Ghana, located on the west coast of Africa, is a country rich in culture, history, and natural beauty. From stunning beaches to vibrant cities, Ghana offers a wide variety of interesting places to visit for travellers. Here are five of the most interesting places to visit in Ghana:
- Cape Coast: Cape Coast is a picturesque coastal town located in the Central Region of Ghana. It is home to several historical sites, including the Cape Coast Castle, a former slave trading post, and UNESCO World Heritage Site. Visitors can also explore the Kakum National Park, which features a canopy walkway through the rainforest and offers breathtaking views of the surrounding area.
- Kumasi: Kumasi is the capital of the Ashanti Region and is known for its rich cultural heritage. Visitors can explore the Manhyia Palace, the former residence of the Ashanti kings, and the Prempeh II Jubilee Museum, which houses a collection of Ashanti artifacts. The city is also famous for its vibrant markets, where visitors can purchase traditional crafts and textiles.
- Accra: Accra is the capital and largest city of Ghana. It is a vibrant, bustling city with a rich cultural heritage. Visitors can explore Independence Square, which was the site of Ghana’s independence from Britain in 1957. The city is also home to several museums, including the National Museum of Ghana and the Kwame Nkrumah Memorial Park.
- Mole National Park: Mole National Park is located in the Northern Region of Ghana and is the country’s largest national park. It is home to a wide variety of wildlife, including elephants, antelopes, warthogs, and over 300 species of birds. Visitors can explore the park on foot, by vehicle, or on a guided safari.
- Lake Volta: Lake Volta is the largest man-made lake in the world, and it is located in the Volta Region of Ghana. Visitors can explore the lake on a boat tour, which offers stunning views of the surrounding landscape and the opportunity to spot exotic birds and aquatic life. The lake is also home to several fishing villages, where visitors can learn about the traditional way of life of the local people.
These five destinations are just a small sample of the many interesting places to visit in Ghana. Whether you’re interested in history, culture, or nature, Ghana has something for everyone. With its friendly people, delicious food, and beautiful scenery, Ghana is a great destination for travellers looking for an off-the-beaten-path experience.